The Best Poppy Seed Layer Cake for Cheaters is absolutely delicious! It is so light and fluffy, the best part is that it’s from a box. But you don’t have to tell your guests that it’s a cake mix hack using a white cake mix and lemon or almond poppy seed muffin mix. This mixture makes the best lemon poppy seed cake you’ll ever taste. If you planned a get together with some friends and need a dessert quick, this recipe will be perfect.
I’ve been to lots of weddings, where some cakes are so tasty and others not so much. I have also made many cakes for many weddings, and when I made this recipe I got so many compliments. Cakes for weddings can be stressful, because you want them to taste delicious and look wonderful. You can scroll to the bottom of this post for the recipe or keep reading about my favorite mixer.
The Best Poppy Seed Layer Cake for Cheaters
Let me tell you about my Bosch mixer. I purchased mine about 20 years ago. They are the best! I had a large kitchenaid that was given as a wedding gift and it’s nice but.. I love the Bosch more. It’s just so heavy duty and ready to take on anything.
Below are some affiliate links, so you can shop what is included in this post. We actually made this cake for Dane and Lissa’s wedding. We were making cake for days upon days, but it was so delicious.
The Best Poppy Seed Layer Cake for Cheaters Recipe
Prep time: 5 mins Cook time: 20 mins Total time: 30 mins Serves: 4 layers
This is a delicious and very easy recipe. It is quick and everyone will love it. You can even add your own twist to this cake. This is fun and fast to do, so if you’re in a rush this is perfect! Basically you’re going to mix regular cake mix and one muffin mix together and then add the water, oil, and eggs as directed below and then mix for two minutes.
- 1 Box of Almond Poppy Seed or Lemon Poppy Seed Cake Mix
- 1 Box of White Cake Mix
- 2 1/4 Cups Water
- 1/3 Cup Vegetable Oil
- 4 Eggs
- The water, oil and eggs may very depending on brands of cake mix
- Heat oven to 350 F
- Line cake pans with parchment paper* and grease
- Mix the white cake mix, water, oil, and eggs for 2 minutes
- Add poppy seed cake mix into the white and stir until combined**
- Pour into pans and bake for 20 minutes
- Let cool for 10 minutes before removing from pan
- Let cakes completely cool before frosting
- *Line pans with parchment paper or wax paper and grease sides of pan for perfection. This releases the cake from the pan without scraping it.
- **Mix just until combined. Do not want to over mix
- For Frosting pour 32 oz. whipping cream in bowl
- Add vanilla extract to taste
- Whip until stiff peaks are formed. I also add cream cheese to mine for extra flavor.
- You can create a filling if you’d like. I just use the frosting as a filling too. To get all 4 layers, you will need to cut the 2, 10″ cakes in half.
Now that you have the Best Poppy Seed Layer Cake for Cheaters, you can make as many cakes as you need for small or large events.